Monday, July 28, 2008

Blue Anchor and other memories

There has been some talk of the Blue Anchor of late. I for one have some of the best memories of my life there. It was at the Blue Anchor that I really honed my skills in playing basketball, well at least I think they were skills. I remember playing one on one with Kevin "Cazzie" Dolan or James "Fish" McNamara to mention a couple. There were many nights and afternoons spent on that small court at the Anchor.
Of course one can never forget the card games and just listening to the jukebox, do they still have those. Several songs just jump out at me, Signs by the Five Man Electrical Band and Brick House by Earth Wind and Fire. Who can ever forget those summer nights just hanging out there and being with friends. Maybe doing a little drinking and partying.
We also cannot forget "The Path". Boy what crazy things happened there. I know in this politically correct world you're not supposed to say this but I'm going to as it has meaning to the memory, what about "Retard Hill". Or even those late night skinny dipping at Oakdale. One of my best memories was the initiation into the Anchor at Oakdale, all covered with eggs,peanut butter and whatever else and having to roll around in the sand and then go into the lake. WOW.
Do they still do these harmless fun things or have they all gone away? Too bad because they sure were fun and no-one got hurt.

5 comments:

essteess said...

OK, I've gotta think that just about every kid in the '70s somewhere, sometime, sang:
The sign said
ya gotta have a membership CAWRD
to git inside
*UH!*

essteess said...

"The Path" -- that was by the _old_ high school, which became the middle school (6th-8th grades), right?
I think that's where Cindy Decker informed me that we were "going together." Being a particularly clueless, oblivious 8th grade boy, I guess I was amazed at how quickly the "process" by which "going together" took place; I mean, no exchange of mutual consent, no co-signatures of approval, not even a period for consideration. Before you know it, you're "going together."

Lucy said...

It seems most people have good memories of the Blue Anchor . . . some similar memories and some different. I do not, however, ever remember having to be initiated. This must have been something special just for Kiss, unless my mind is so far gone, which I admit is sad! The vision of you though covered with eggs, peanut butter and whatever else I am sure is quite titillating to some of us, well, at least to me being a peanut butter fanatic!

I thought Brick House was released in 1977 by the Commodores, not Earth, Wind and Fire. . .am I right? Okay, maybe I am not alone in being senile. Can someone verify this please, and also I would like to know what year the Blue Anchor closed. I remember it opened up afterwards as a bagel shop, but do not remember when. If this date is right, then Kiss, you are a lot younger than I thought!

There were some tragedies that occurred at the Blue Anchor. I am sure some of you remember the racial tension that existed at Hudson High School in the early 70’s, resulting in what might be considered gang rivalry. The rivalry was carried over to the Blue Anchor, the culminating point being the stabbing of one of our classmates. I am not certain as to when and how the forces retreated, or what the ultimate outcome of this violent rivalry was. This was certainly a chilling experience for all who witnessed it.

A little drinking is putting it mildly for Kiss. Sheila confirms that all those lemon-aids he brought in from Stewarts were very spicy lemon-aids, or should I say spikey, as in spiked with vodka. Oh, none of us were angels (some of us our now). A lot of us had our first experimentations with different things at the Blue Anchor. [more about this later]

I do not recall “retard hill,” and have no idea what that is, or what went on there. Would anyone care to elaborate about this?

Lucy said...

"The Path" . . .I thought that was the path that led to Oakdale. . .and I think I remember if you went far enough down the path, it actually went uphill a bit to somewhere where there was a picnic table????!!!!! This is really pathetic. Maybe I was just having an "Alice in Wonderland" moment.

Real Estate Pro said...

Lucy,
You may be right about Brick House as I may have confused that with Earth Wind and Fire. I specifically remember Jackie Jabo singing the Earth,Wind and Fire song. MY bad.

I did get initiated along with about 4 or 5 others, Kevin Dolan and a few other were the ring leaders. What a night that was. WOW.

Retard Hill is no longer there, it was a small clay hill, what is now the park next to Oakdale. The path was the path that went fron Glenwood Blvd to the Middle School. We should have hung out in HHS I would love to have shown you those places. Nothing too good for you.

I was actually the Director of the Anchor in 1980 to 1982ish. They tried to close it then but we had a petition drive and won. It was shortly after I left that they closed it. I think Pete Jabo was the last director,I think.

I too witnessed the fight at the Anchor, I do remember all the players from both sides but will not get into that garbage.

As for the peanut butter, I too love peanut butter.........